What Are The Ingredients For Falafel?
Falafel is a healthy snack which you can have any time of the day. A classic falafel melts in the mouth and is crisp from outside. The recipe requires simple ingredients and is quick to make too. All enjoy it, and kids also love it.
Falafel the name sounds exciting but is a super quick and straightforward recipe. Now you may find a variety of falafel with unknown ingredients, but the taste of the classic falafel matches no other.
Ingredients Required In The Making Of A Falafel
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- A cup of chickpeas rinsed and soaked for a minimum of 4-5hours and later in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Roughly chopped onion (1/2 cup)
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh cilantro
- Garlic cloves 4-5 pieces.
- Sea salt as per taste
- Black pepper (freshly ground )
- Cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon )
- Cinnamon powder (1/4 teaspoon )
Note: Do not substitute the chickpeas with the canned ones as it changes the taste of your falafel.
- First of all, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and in a baking pan place a rimmed baking sheet and pour ¼ cup of the olive oil so that the pan gets an even coating of oil.
- Now in a food mixer, mix the soaked chickpeas (drain the water), with chopped onion, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper powder, cumin powder, cilantro leaves, cinnamon powder, and one tablespoon of olive oil. Turn on the processor for a minute or so, and make a smooth paste out of it.
- Now pour out all the mixture in a bowl and with the help of your hand. Take two tablespoons of the mix at a time and make small oval balls about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Place each of them on the previously oiled baking pan.
- Now bake the falafel for 25 to 30 minutes. Keep flipping them halfway through baking so that they don’t stick to the pan, cook until they are golden brown and crisp on both sides. You can store this falafel in the refrigerator for about four days, or several months in the freezer.
- You can make about 13 to 14 falafel at a time with this quick recipe. It tastes more delicious when paired with pita bread and tahini sauce. This meal is so versatile that you can go crazy and make your innovative falafel dish.
- You can also fry the falafel, but baking gives you a different taste altogether. The best part is while you are baking; it requires less oil which is right for your health.
- You have to soak the chickpeas for about 4 hours or more. This helps in softening the chickpeas, and the paste you make comes out smooth without any crumbs.
- Choose small sized chickpeas as it softens quickly in less time, and you have a smooth mix while making this dish.
- If you want you can add finely chopped veggies for extra flavors.