Manakeesh is one of the most popular breakfast foods in the Lebanese region. It consists of a flatbread topped with a different variety of toppings. The most used topping in the preparation of this recipe is za’atar, onion, cheese, etc. The size of this delicious dish is similar to the pan pizza. People fold it in half like a sandwich to consume it comfortably. If you want to try something unique and tasty, then this food can be an excellent option for you. In this article, we describe the easy manakeesh recipe. Hence, you must read this article very attentively until the end.
What Is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a traditional spice blend of the Middle Eastern region that primarily includes sumac, Lebanese oregano, toasted sesame seeds, and few herbs. People mostly use the za’atar as a topping for manakeesh along with olive oil. You can easily make it at home. Moreover, you can buy it from the stores if you do not have time.
Easy Manakeesh Recipe
- 3 cups Bread Flour
- One tablespoon White Granulated Sugar
- Six tablespoon Za’atar
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1.5 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- .33 cup Vegetable Oil
- One teaspoon salt
- Six tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups Akawi Cheese
Instructions For Manakeesh Recipe
- First of all, take a large bowl and add ½ cup of warm water in it. Now, add yeast and sugar in it. Make sure that the water must not be too hot. Otherwise, the yeast will not proof. After mixing, keep it aside for 10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- Now, add the remaining water, salt, and flour to the proofed yeast. Set the low setting on the stand mixer and begin to mix using the dough hook. Add the oil gradually and then increase the speed until it combines properly. If you find that dough is sticky, add one tablespoon of flour at a time. In case you find difficulty in combination, add one tablespoon of water. Moreover, you can make the dough by kneading with hands if you don’t have a stand mixer.
- Flour a bowl lightly and then place the dough inside it. Cover it using a kitchen towel. Place it in a warm area for an hour until it increases its size by two times. After that, divide the dough into 12 balls of equal size. Now, cover it again and place it for rising for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Take a bowl and fill it with cold water. Soak the Akawi cheese in it for about 30 minutes for letting out some salt from it.
- Now, combine oil and za’atar in a small bowl.
- Use a box grater to shred the cheese.
- Now, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Use a parchment paper to line the baking sheet.
- Roll each dough ball into a circle of 6 inches diameter on any floured surface. Place it on the baking sheet that you prepared before. Use the za’atar mix for topping six flatbread and cheese for the remaining six. Leave some space on edges for spreading.
- Bake it for about 10 to 12 minutes until it becomes golden brown on the bottom. Your delicious recipe is ready to serve. You can eat it warm or at room temperature.