Your search of lip-smacking desserts ends with the Lebanese desserts. Their variety, rich taste, as well as, aroma, unique making style with different ingredients – everything plays its part to make the desserts of Lebanon a hit among the foodies as well as sweet dish lovers.
Knafeh – Traditional Lebanese Deserts
Prepared with cheese and phyllo, this traditional dessert of Lebanon will make you crave for more with its rich taste. The good news is you can have it both as a dessert and breakfast. Yes! In Lebanon, the majority of the people eat this sweet dish in the morning to start their day with a sweet gesture. But you can have knafeh as a dessert after the meal too, and they are readily available in the dessert stores. However, making them in your home will not only give your mouth a sweet surprise, but your heart will be filled with happiness too.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 40 minutes
- Phyllo – 16 ounces, shredded
- Ricotta cheese – 15 ounce
- Egg – 1
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Sweet butter – 1 ½ stick
For Making The Syrup
- Water – 1 up
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Orange blossom water – 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a baking dish of 9*12 inches and grease it properly.
- Take a bowl and mix the ricotta cheese with eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
- In another bowl, add the shredded phyllo and add the butter so that they do not get stuck with each other. Make 2 dough of phyllo.
- In the baking dish, add one phyllo dough and make a layer. On top of it, add the ricotta mixture and with a spatula, even it out. Now add another phyllo layer and add the remaining butter on the top.
- Put it inside the oven and bake for about 40 minutes. When the color turns golden, take it out and keep it aside for 45 minutes, so the knafeh is cooled completely.
- In the meantime, take the pot and add the 1 cup of water and mix 2 cups sugar. Put it on medium flame and keep it boiling till all the sugar dissolves. Pour the orange blossom water in the pot once all the sugar gets melted. Now take it off the flame and let it cool.
- Take the cooled knafeh on a large plate and even the edges out by using a knife. Make sure that it is thoroughly cooled. Not a single portion should be hot. Pour the sugar syrup on the top and spread it thoroughly. Your mouthwatering knafeh is ready.
- If you want to make it more attractive as well as tasty, you can add chopped pistachios or walnuts on the top.
- Sometimes, you might not get shredded phyllo in the market. Do not worry. Buy the normal phyllo and shred them using a shredder.
- When buying the ricotta, make sure you take the full-fat variety as this will add more richness and taste to your dessert.
So, now make this traditional Lebanese dessert and make yourself happy with its mouth-watering taste.