Delicious, light, and fluffy – can you imagine which recipe I am talking about? Well, I am talking about hummus, the Arabian delight. I am going to share the recipe of hummus home made with tahini and lemon juice so that you can prepare this palatable food in your home.
The tanginess of the lemon and nutty texture from the tahini – these two give this hummus recipe another level. Can be made with the ingredients readily available in every home, you can prepare the yummy creamy hummus just within 40 minutes. Have it alone or with some pita bread –in both way, this Arabian food is going to allure you.
Hummus Home Made With Tahini
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
- Chickpeas – 15 ounces
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Tahini – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – ¼ cup
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Ice water – 4 tbsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Garlic – 1 clove, minced
- Paprika and fresh chopped parsley – for garnishing
- First, take a saucepan and fill it with water. Put it on high flame and add the chickpeas and some salt. As the water starts to boil, lower the heat and let the chickpeas cook for about 20 minutes on low heat so that they become soft and bloated. When done, remove the excess water and run cold water over them for just a minute. Then keep them aside.
- Mix the minced garlic with lemon juice and salt and keep them aside.
- Now in a mixer, add the Tahini and 2 tbsp of ice water. Give it a mix and pour the garlic mixture. Mix again and if you see that the tahini mixture is very thick, you can add some more ice water.
- Add the cooked chickpeas as well as the olive oil in the mixer. Blend them along with the tahini so that you get a thick and creamy mixture. Do not forget to taste the seasoning. If you need, add some more salt and lemon juice. You might have to pour some more ice water if you can’t scrape the mixture from the sides of the mixer.
- When done, take a plate and pour the hummus in it. Sprinkle the paprika and chopped parsley on the top and serve immediately.
- If any hummus is left, do not worry. Keep it an air-tight box and put it inside the fridge for a week without any problem.
- If you want, you can use normal dry chickpeas, or you can opt for the canned chickpeas available in the market. Do not use the instant pot for cooking them as this will create a massacre in your kitchen.
- Do not diminish the quantity of tahini. The ½ cup is ideal for 15 ounces of chickpeas to give it the creamy and delicious flavor and texture.
- Ice water is important to make the tahini mixture fluffy as well as light and also gives it the ivory color.
- Always go for fresh lemon juice as this adds a nice aroma to your dish. Refrain buying from the lemon juice from the store as it might be stale.