Falafel is a Middle Eastern dish which is simply scrumptious. They are little oval balls of a special bean mixture which is mixed with some spices and fresh herbs. These are deep-fried and they turn crispy on the exterior. They get melt in your mouth inside. For this recipe since we are going for health, we will grill them. They come out just as good this way but much healthier. To serve they are usually wrapped up in pita bread with some Lebanese salad furthermore yogurt. And here we provide you a recipe of homemade falafel.
A normal homemade falafel will serve about 3 to 4 plates.
Ingredients for Homemade Falafel
- 500g canned chickpeas
- Adequate canned red kidney beans
- 7 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 6 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Half cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves chopped
- Adequate baking powder
- A pinch sea salt
- 4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 250mls natural yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cucumber diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes diced
- 1/2 Spanish onion sliced finely
- Pita bread
- Pinch of paprika
Method Of Preparation
1. Falafel. Drain the chickpeas and red kidney beans thoroughly and then mash with a masher until the mixture is combined and pureed but not smooth. Mix in all the other falafel ingredients and stir until well combined. Make golf sized balls with your hands from the mixture then flatten a little bit so they are thick ovals (sort of like a hockey puck).
2. Salad. Combine all the ingredients. Leave out at room temperature so that the salad is at room temperature when served.
3. Yogurt. Mix the ingredients together and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
4. Cooking. To cook the falafel line the grill with foil and spray with some oil. Put the falafel balls on the foil including spray the falafel with a bit of oil. You should brown the falafel on both sides. When they are done they should smell aromatic and be a little crispy on the outside.
5. To serve. Lay a piece of pita bread out also put 3-4 falafels running down the middle towards you. Place some salad next to the line of falafel furthermore then drizzle as much yogurt as you want over the falafal. To fold the bread fold the bottom of the pita bread up and the sides towards the middle so that an open blanket is formed. Enjoy
While i don’t know the exact nutritional values of this dish i do know that the only oil is the spray including their is around 10g of fiber per falafel roll with tonnes of vegies (as the recipe is vegetarian)
So waste time no more. Enjoy the homemade falafel at your home’s comfort. Finding a good falafel recipe can be a challenge. However, blending everything together in perfect balance once a good recipe.