If you visit the Middle East, you will find one classic dessert everywhere, and that is halva. It is a famous candy dessert. However, from one area to another, the process of its making varies to a great extent. Two versions of halva are common in the Middle East – one is based on flour, and another is based on seeds and nuts. This article will give you the Middle Eastern dessert recipe so that you can make it in your home.
If you prefer a gelatinous feel, opt for the flour-based halva. It has rich flavor because of the presence of rosewater and saffron. Though you can enjoy halva alone, it is better to accompany it with a steaming cup of tea or coffee. If you prefer dry and crumbly dessert, opt for the nut-based one.
The halva made with flour is very popular in Greece, India, Pakistan, Turkey as well as Afghanistan. In Greece, people often use cornstarch while preparing the halva. On the other hand, many countries such as Lebanon, Cyprus, Israel, Syria, Egypt, and Iraq prefer making the nut-based halva. They mostly use sesame seeds in these candies.
The people of the United States of America are fond of the halva that is prepared with tahini paste. However, the countries of Eastern Europe love to eat the dessert made with sunflower seeds. The paste of the seeds is mixed with heavy cream as well as honey or sugar. Then add some vanilla or chocolate syrup and mix in a way to give a marbled effect.
Easy Middle Eastern Dessert Recipe
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Serving – 8
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Rosewater – ¼ cup
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – 16 tbsp
- Saffron strands – 4-6 (you can also use ½ tsp of saffron powder)
How To Make
- Put a saucepan on the flame and add the sugar along with water to it. Let the water boil so that all the sugar gets dissolved.
- After that, add the saffron, followed by rose water. Once the texture becomes like a syrup, take the pan out of the heat.
- Now, take another pan and put it on the heat. Add the butter and let it melt. In the melted butter, add the flour slowly and mix them well. Pour the sugar syrup into the flour mixture and mix them thoroughly.
- Take the pan out of the heat. Without wasting time, transfer the mixture on the serving plate. Let it cool down and then cut into your desired pieces.
- If you want, you can pour the candy mixture into separate ramekins also. Before serving, take out the dessert from the ramekins and serve with a hot beverage.
Middle Eastern Dessert Recipe – Nutritional Information
From each serving of this sesame candy, you will get 352 calories, 33 gm of carbs, and fat of 25 gm. But the protein amount is meager, only 1 gm.
It is not only a yummy dessert but also serves as the tasty ideal base for chocolate brownies. Moreover, you can use them to enhance the flavor of the homemade ice cream. Chocolate chips cookies taste superb if you use the halva in them.